Tuesday, February 3, 2009

They Are Not So Bad After All!

I used to think that people who worked at a hospital were just cranky and illnatured. I never liked going to the hospital anyways. The thought of getting cut up and getting poked with needles all day for who know what just irritated me. Well I met a girl a little over a year ago and we dated. I came to find out that she was a nurse at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital and was real skeptical about who she was. I started to critic her every word and all that she did. When she would be upset and take it out on me for the way I drove, for example, I just thought to myself, "well she is a nurse". Then finally One day we talked about our days at work and what we had experienced as we learned more and more about eachother. She started tellnig me about all the little kids she has to keep up with at the hospital and how emotional it is for her to see the families struggle like they do when they have a child with a critical illness or whatever the case may be. She told me it was real hard for her to see those families experience all they did, and she would feel so bad for them, not knowing most of the time how to help them, if their kid was not improving health-wise. So then it finaly occured to me that they( nurses, doctors, hospital workers) are not so bad after all, atleast at Valberbilt. It was a big lesson for me and also a big change of perspective as well.

No comments: