Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Culture Shock

I experienced my first culture shock when I moved from Decatur, Alabama to Montgomery, Alabama. These two cities are both in Alabama, but are totally different. Decatur is where I was born and raised. Decatur is now growing, but back in 1998 when I left it was pretty small and predominantly white. I considered myself being comfortable with black Americans because I am black myself even though I did grow up with predominantly white people and had a lot of white friends. Graduating from high school and attending college down in Montgomery, Alabama, which is a two and a half hour drive from home, was exciting but scary. I did not know anyone there. My parents moved me in and stayed with me that weekend. On that same first day of being in the new city, I decided to take a drive to Big Lots to look for some home and decor for my apartment. I met this guy who was working there stocking the shelves. He asked me out and with me being so young, naive, and curious, I said yes and took his phone number. We met at the Krystals down the street from my apartment. I told my parents I was going out to the movies, which I did. Upon arriving at the movies with this guy I knew nothing about, I began to feel a bit of anxiety when stepping out of the car, and seeing nothing, but black people. Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with black people. I am black myself. But I just was not used to going out and seeing nothing, but a bunch of black people all together all at the same time. I was surprised that there were no fights or shootings. I was very much relieved. Montgomery is just much different than Decatur. Montgomery is predominantly black, and the crime rate is much higher than Decatur. I had several different experiences to mention that took place in Montgomery, Alabama. I will just quickly mention one more. I was invited by my hairstylist to her birthday party. Upon arriving, I quickly found out that everyone at the party was gay and so was my stylist. I tried to be calm and cool and stay there and hang out with my hairstylist.
But I had to leave because a girl kept trying to talk to me and touch me, so I left.

No comments: