Monday, February 2, 2009

The Grass Is Not Greener....

I've been a construction worker for many years. After enduring a long span of sexual harassment at one particular company I decided I woud leave the industry behind and pursue an office job within a different industry. I applied for a position with a company that broadcasts a radio show on talk radio dealing with money.

I was intrigued for several reasons. I knew I would never have to worry about sexual harassment in a normal work environment (naive yes). I was going to have the opportunity to work with females for the first time. Most importantly I would be free to be open about my Christianity and not have my faith stifled or ridiculed by my coworkers; it is mandatory of course to be a Christian to work there afterall.

Things started out smoothly until I realized I had entered a new realm of hell. I quickly learned that which denomination of Christinaity you belong to is a major factor in who will and will not associate with you. I was promptly informed that my traditional way of worship at my small church was no competition for the large liberated churches with their drum sets, electric guitars and preachers in flip flops. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy these kinds of services mid week for a pick me up, but I was not accustomed to that style of worship on Sunday mornings and was shunned for it.

Working with females was a new experience for me, and I realized (no offense intended ladies) that I related much better to the men with whom I had worked before. I hadn't heard so much gossip, seen such cattiness, or felt like I was in the midst of a seething cauldron like I had when I worked among the ladies.

What prompted my quick exodus from any social circle within the realm of ladies I believe had something to do with my desire to actually work between 8 and 5, a standard not held in high regard by most employees in that company.... and that behavior is acceptable! When approached at my desk I would promptly respond that if they had nothing of a business nature to speak with me about they could send me an email or catch me after work. This would cause them to cry uncontrollably (I am not making this up) running into my supervisor's office explaining to him how mean I am for not chatting with them. My supervisor would then call me into his office giving me a thirty minute lecture about not being so abrupt with the ladies and trying to develop relationships.... and I thought I was here to work. my mistake

What ultimately led me to the end of my rope with this company is how intrusive they were into every aspect of every employee's life. If I had been caught at Applebees sitting at the bar with a beer I could be fired. If I had a person of a different gender living with me as my roommate, and we were unmarried I could be fired. The fact that I am a smoker met with constant scrutiny, though I only smoked on my lunchbreak and did so off the premises.

This was a blessing and a curse. I had a shotgun wedding and for the most part a shotgun divorce. Having no friends in the company I obviously chose to not share my nuptuals or pending divorce with any of my coworkers; it was afterall none of their business. Somehow they found out and chastised me for divorcing after 3 weeks of marraige. I was given the option to enter a six month emotional rehabilitation program (in house) at a facility of their choosing financed by them or be fired. hmmmmm.... I'd say I chose option 2 thank you very much. Don't you love working in a "right to work" state?

I was quite grateful for the three months severance package they gave me. It was a lovely addition to my bank account after acquiring a new position in less than a week...... you got it-back in construction! I love the company I work with now and feel priviledged to walk in the doors of their office every day. There are some interesting challenges one must face in the construction industry, but I will take them any day over the drama and chaos of a normal office. My perceptions of life without a toolbelt were seriously incorrect and naive. The grass was not at all greener on the other side.

1 comment:

Jim Parker said...

You could have sued them. I'm just guessing but is this associated with a person named Dave.